Dr. Martin Luther King brought hope and healing to America. I could not recall a time more than now that we need to remember all the things that he stood for, and the life that he led full of compassion, dignity, courage, humility, justice and truth. Dr. King’s nonviolent approach led the movement for racial equality and justice. He spent his life fighting to make democracy a reality for all Americans. He was imprisoned 29 times, endured constant threats and harassment, yet he continued to protest in a peaceful manner to make sure his message was heard.
Here are some of Dr. Martin Luther King’s most famous quotes, and great words to live by:
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
- Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
- The time is always right to do what is right.
- We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.
- I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
- Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.
- We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.
- We may have all come on different ships, but we’re in the same boat now.
- I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality… I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.
Not just today, but every day, we need to come together united in justice and peace. We are all part of the great dream that Dr. King had for America.