As your cell phone is one of the items you touch dozens of times per day on a constant, rotating basis, it is good to take off the case and clean off the dirt and grime that can accumulate over time. In this era of COVID-19, it is even more important to do so as the virus can live on surfaces for up to 72 hours.
Below you will find some tips on how to clean your cell phone. Before you get started, wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Apple iPhone:
- To disinfect, gently wipe the exterior surfaces of your phone with a 70% isopropyl alcohol wipe (Clorox Disinfecting Wipes work). Don’t use bleach and avoid getting moisture in any of the phone’s openings. Don’t submerge your phone in any cleaning agents.
- You can also use a lens cloth or a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth to wipe your iPhone.
- If there is material or residue remaining, use that cloth with warm soapy water.
- Don’t use cleaning products, other than the wipes, or compressed air to clean your iPhone.
- Samsung Galaxy
- To disinfect, use a hypochlorous acid-based solution (containing 50-80ppm) or an alcohol based solution (containing more than 70% ethanol or isopropyl alcohol). Don’t apply these solutions directly to your device; they should be carefully applied to a microfiber cloth instead.
- Use a lint-free, soft microfiber cleaning cloth or a camera lens cleaning cloth.
- Don’t apply too much pressure.
- Avoid getting excess moisture onto your device; however, you may dampen the corner of the microfiber cloth with a small amount of distilled water.
- Avoid using cans of compressed air.
- Do not use spray bleach on your device.
If your cell phone is made by a company other than the two mentioned above, you can still follow the same advice. Disinfect using alcohol that is 70% isopropyl. Use a soft, lint-free cloth to wipe the surface of your phone. Don’t allow moisture in any of the openings.
Following these steps will ensure that you have a disinfected device that isn’t carrying bacteria or viruses, and it helps promote overall health!