Alaska is unlike any other cruise destination. Given its history, culture, geography and wildlife…it’s a real learning experience. Here are some of the most compelling reasons why 2023 is a great time to take an Alaska cruise.
- The Ships: For year, cruise lines only put older, smaller ships in Alaska. Now you can choose from several new ships including the Nieuw Amsterdam with Holland America, the Royal Princess and the Norwegian Bliss. For budget travelers there is the Carnival Legend, for families the Disney Wonder, and luxury cruisers can choose from the Silver Muse, the Seven Seas Mariner, the Crystal Symphony and the Seabourn Sojourn.
- The Shore Excursions: From landing on a glacier by helicopter followed by a dogsled adventure, to a zipline adventure, Alaska shore excursions are like no other. Glacier trekking, Misty Fjords by floatplane, river rafting, wilderness expeditions, fishing, snowmobiling & scenic train rides are just a few of the other popular excursions in Alaska.
- The Glaciers: They’re everywhere and impossible to ignore as they crackle and shift and glow in brilliant blue hues. Glaciers are a huge part of any Alaskan adventure…literally, as there are more than 30,000 sq. miles of the icy masses covering the state and its surrounding waters. The 76 mile Hubbard Glacier in the Yukon is breathtaking to see up close.
- The Wildlife: You can often see humpback whales right from the ship while in Juneau. There is plenty of opportunity to see bears in their natural habitat, especially black and brown bears. On aerial tours over Mendenhall Glacier, travelers can glimpse bears, as well as goats as they prepare for winter. Still, the most sought-after encounter is the grizzly bear, which is both larger and rarer. Guests experience the Fortress of the Bear rescue center, where they can visit animals that are being cared for before being returned into the wild. If you like bird watching, keep your eyes open for bald eagles which are abundant throughout Alaska. Animal viewings can vary based on when you travel to Alaska, so we suggesting reading this post on best time to see wildlife in Alaska.
5. Relaxation: Although you can fill your days with adventure in port, on seas days and in the evening, the overall pace on the cruise ships is more laid back. Take in a sunrise or sunset overlooking the amazing scenery of mountains, glaciers, fjords, crystal clear lakes & waterfalls. Enjoy seaside towns without the major crowds you would find in other ports like in Europe. Embrace long days and cool temperatures. Enjoy a warm beverage while looking out for wildlife from your balcony or on deck. Watching nature float by is both a very moving, and relaxing experience.
Browse Alaska Cruises.